In this review I’m talking only about the things that really impressed me. I won’t be talking about contacts, alarm, message reader or music player etc. cause they are pretty much similar in every high end Nokia device.
- After switching on the phone, first thing that impressed me is the speed of the device and the memory available in C drive; both are more that N97. The speed is because of the 600Mhz processor under the hood. The 250MB memory in the C drive ensures that even if you install every app and game in C, you won’t run out of memory.
- Active Standby Screen – The active standby screen is very convenient and gives you the information and notifications in a quick way. It allows me to set-up 14 different kind of notifications: email boxes, voice mail, calendar, to-do, music player, FM radio, chat, WLAN scanning, search and shortcuts to the apps I use most frequently. Mode switcher is another impressive feature. It allows you to have two different phone set-up each customised with it’s own theme, wallpaper and application shortcuts and lets you switch between them with just a click.
- Nokia Messaging – I’m impressed by Nokia messaging in E72, it is tightly integrated into the firmware and works really well. The customization options are great to make the mailbox really personal. The only thing that’s bugging me is the lack of the threads, I’ve gotten too much used to Google Gmail and threads do make things simpler and faster. Nokia messaging is evolving very fast so I expect it will have this feature soon.
- GPS and Ovi Maps – E72 has a built-in GPS receiver along with A-GPS. Ovi maps with free navigation is available via SW Update which will give you free voice guided navigation forever. The GPS chip of E72 is very powerful, I got a lock from cold start in about 10 seconds with A-GPS on which is awesome. N97 takes more time to get a lock.
- Facebook is pre-installed and it works great, it is similar to the one in N97.
- I was quite excited about multi-scanner but it was not so accurate in scanning text.
- WiPresenter is simple and a very useful app.
- The World Traveler app combines both eye-candy and functionality. It has weather forecasts, world clock, currency converter, flights info and even a 3D globe – very useful.
- E72 has full versions of both PDF reader and QuickOffice. Newer versions are available for free so I suggest you download and install them.
SOME MORE IMAGES -
After using the E72 for two weeks, I’ve come to the conclusion that this sexy device is the E series flagship.