"Firefox or Chrome" – this is what I’ve been typing into Google search bar for the last few days. And I still haven’t got a clear answer.
I love FireFox and I’ve been using it since I got a broadband connection. It had awesome features, speed and it served me well.
But then Chrome came up and it had/has everyone’s attention because of new minimal looks, speed and because it’s made by Google. Many people switched to Chrome even though it lacked many features that FireFox had. I also used Chrome for a few days but then dismissed it as FireFox was better and had more features than Chrome.
Currently, things aren’t so good with FireFox, Google is developing Chrome at an unbelievable speed and Chrome is is getting many features that Firefox has. Chrome is beating all the browsers, including FireFox in terms of performance. And yesterday, every browser except Chrome was hacked. The extensions or add-ons which is a FireFox thing is now available for Chrome also.
After reading the performance test results and a lot of people asking me to try it once more, I installed Google Chrome and added a few extensions to it. I was surprised at how comfortable I was using Chrome. It is blazing fast and it worked the way I wanted it to.
As of now I’ve switched back to FireFox because I’ve grown used to it (just like I’ve grown used to Google Search)
Some things I like in FireFox are –
- The small arrow besides the back/forward button. It’s very useful when I’ve to go 4 or 5 pages back.
- Awesome Bar – Mozilla took a very wise decision when they decided to integrate "I’m Feeling Lucky" into address bar. I like to type the name of the website and be taken directly to the website, it’s faster than looking at a bunch of search results. If I wanted search results, I’d type into the search bar.
- I like the fact that I can add multiple search engines to the search bar. I’ve got Wikipedia, bing, Google, beemp3 etc. It makes searching faster.
- Bookmarks management – FireFox bookmarks management is light-years ahead of Chrome.
- Downloads- A neat little window with lots of features like search, pause, resume download, go to download page, copy download link etc.
- Add-ons – There are millions of add-ons available for FireFox and there are some add-ons which I cannot live without.
But to me (and lota other people) performance is very important, and Chrome is hell bent at delivering performance.
So I’m back to square one, I’m still not sure which browser to use. I’m using FireFox mostly out of habit. Chrome is sitting besides Firefox in my taskbar mocking me.
This is the second part of my two part Nokia E72 review. You can read the first part here. And you can find the N97 vs. E72 camera test results here.
In this review I’m talking only about the things that really impressed me. I won’t be talking about contacts, alarm, message reader or music player etc. cause they are pretty much similar in every high end Nokia device.
- After switching on the phone, first thing that impressed me is the speed of the device and the memory available in C drive; both are more that N97. The speed is because of the 600Mhz processor under the hood. The 250MB memory in the C drive ensures that even if you install every app and game in C, you won’t run out of memory.
- Active Standby Screen – The active standby screen is very convenient and gives you the information and notifications in a quick way. It allows me to set-up 14 different kind of notifications: email boxes, voice mail, calendar, to-do, music player, FM radio, chat, WLAN scanning, search and shortcuts to the apps I use most frequently. Mode switcher is another impressive feature. It allows you to have two different phone set-up each customised with it’s own theme, wallpaper and application shortcuts and lets you switch between them with just a click.
- Nokia Messaging – I’m impressed by Nokia messaging in E72, it is tightly integrated into the firmware and works really well. The customization options are great to make the mailbox really personal. The only thing that’s bugging me is the lack of the threads, I’ve gotten too much used to Google Gmail and threads do make things simpler and faster. Nokia messaging is evolving very fast so I expect it will have this feature soon.
- GPS and Ovi Maps – E72 has a built-in GPS receiver along with A-GPS. Ovi maps with free navigation is available via SW Update which will give you free voice guided navigation forever. The GPS chip of E72 is very powerful, I got a lock from cold start in about 10 seconds with A-GPS on which is awesome. N97 takes more time to get a lock.
- Facebook is pre-installed and it works great, it is similar to the one in N97.
- I was quite excited about multi-scanner but it was not so accurate in scanning text.
- WiPresenter is simple and a very useful app.
- The World Traveler app combines both eye-candy and functionality. It has weather forecasts, world clock, currency converter, flights info and even a 3D globe – very useful.
- E72 has full versions of both PDF reader and QuickOffice. Newer versions are available for free so I suggest you download and install them.
SOME MORE IMAGES -
After using the E72 for two weeks, I’ve come to the conclusion that this sexy device is the E series flagship.
As promised in the first part, here is the camera test images. The images on the left was captured in E72 and the images on the right was taken on N97. No sophisticated method is used, I’ve simply asked my friends and family which image was better after showing them images from both the smartphones side by side.
This Image was taken in low light. flash was fired. N97’s image looks better.
Whereas on this image E72 taken on close-up with no flash E72 fared better than N97
This image was taken on low light with flash, here also N97’s image is better than E72’s.
It’s hard for me to decide which one is better, N97’s image is a bit darker. Which one is better according to you???
In this image two of them are almost similar.
Both the images were taken with flash in semi-dark conditions and I think E72 fared better.
some more random images taken on E72 –
This is the first camera test I’ve done and I did not know how exactly to do this so please tell me if there are any mistakes, comments and suggestions are always welcome. I’ll try to improve things next time.